Thursday, June 5, 2014

Stewardship Homily: Francis de Sales


Stewardship
by Greg Mort
June 1, 2014


I’ve been watching The hockey playoffs.
Having grown up mostly in Chicago, I’m a Blackhawks fan.
Seems to me that there are two kinds of people who love hockey.

The first if the person like me; the person who turns on the TV, grabs some potato chips, and watches; the person who cheers with his team and yells at the referees.
The second kind of person who loves hockey is the champion; the person who spends years playing the game.
Both love hockey.  One is an armchair fan.  The other is a champion.

Now...it seems to me that there are also two kinds of people who love the Church.
The first person belongs to St. Therese and comes to Mass every Easter and Christmas. 
He drops $2 in the collection basket when it goes by. 
He brings his children to be baptized, and he brings his parents for a Catholic funeral.

The second person who loves Church never misses Sunday. 
This person tithes - she gives a big chunk of her income and makes real sacrifices to support the Church. 
This person takes Communion to a nursing home or serves on Justice & Peace committee.
This person steps forward when a volunteer is needed for some special cause.

Both love the Catholic Church. 
If we want to use the sports terminology, we might call one an armchair Catholic and the other - a champion of the Faith.

Before we go any farther, I want to be clear that I don't mean any disrespect to the person I'm calling an "armchair Catholic." 
We thank God for the person who comes every Christmas, for the person who finds it in his heart to donate $2 a year, for the person who makes sure his babies are baptized.
 We thank the Lord for that Faith.

But for me...and I think for everyone here today...that isn't enough. 
Our  Faith is far too important for us to be an armchair fan. 
I need God at the center of my life. 
I need the peace that the Church gives me. 
I need the strength and the courage that the Church offers me. 
I need the friends and the support that I find in the Church. 
And I need to hear the promise of the kingdom waiting for me after death.
St. Paul tells us that God gives us different talent
And that they are to be shared among the whole body.
 
I don’t know about you, but I can't live as an armchair Catholic. 
I need far more security than that in life.

That is just what the concept of Stewardship is all about. 
The more we need of the Church, the more we need to give.

The good steward is the person who offers serious time to God and the Church; time for Mass; time in the chapel; time for prayer. 
She gives time to help the needy and time whenever the parish needs it. 
she gives time even when it is in short supply.

The good steward is the person who offers to share whatever talents he might have. 
If he can sing, he joins the choir. 
If he is good with children, he might help in the Parish nursery or help teach our children about their faith. 
If he has a lot of ideas, he might help with one of our Parish committees.


The good steward is the person who shares her treasure. 
She understands that it takes a lot of money for the Church to function. 
She gives a chunk of her salary and makes honest sacrifices to be sure that the Church is able to carry on. 
She gives up some of the extras in life to be sure that  can carry out its ministries.

Most of us probably sit in front of the TV with our ice cream or potato chips and secretly dream of standing on a podium, receiving a gold medal while the National Anthem is played and the world praises us. 
I have dreams of being an Olympic champion. 
But honestly, I can live without that. 
I'm too old, and I'm not ready to invest what it takes to be an Olympic champion.
An armchair hockey fan is fine for me.

But, I am not satisfied to be an armchair Catholic.
My faith is just too important. 
I have a dream which I won't give up: one day standing before the Lord and hearing the words I most long to hear, "Well done.  You have been a good and faithful steward. 
Look at all you've done for me, and for my Church."
That is worth more than a gold medal. 
That is the gold crown that I'm looking for.
And I hope you are too.

For some particulars on how you can help, I’ve invited the Chairperson of our Finance Council to speak to you for a couple of minutes.
Please welcome Jim Pavik.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Add