Sunday, September 22, 2013

Twenty-fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time






Jesus develops the narrative in such a way that it focuses on the issue of trust between the rich man and his steward;
 in other words, on the interpersonal basis of their relationship.”
Trust  in a relationship. Trust, with the ones you know. Trust, with the stranger.
I believe, for all of my dull-witted thinking and weak-willed heart, the parable was firmly about “the rich man.”
After all, it bluntly began with its main subject: There was a rich man….
But it doesn’t matter that he’s rich.
So, it’s really about a man
but it also doesn’t matter that the lead character was masculine.
It’s about how humans live with other humans.
How does the rich man act?
How does the manager act?


Nothing the manager did revealed him as a loving, vulnerable human. Instead, the manager was manipulative and selfish.
In Jesus’ tale, we were given a glimpse of the manager’s thoughts:  What will I do, now that my master is taking the position away from me?
What! His master didn’t take the position away!
The manager screwed himself by squandering the rich man’s property. But, ah, how humans craftily blame another.
 I’ve met people like the manager, who casually and consistently blamed others for their failures.
Do you wish me, in my faith, to sally forth and be like the manager?
No. Thank. You.

There was a flawed, curious, hopeful, forgiving human in this story.
And that person was the story’s focus.
The rich man’s essential question to the manager will be: What is this that I hear about ___?

What’s the word the rich man used?
Was he concerned about his possessions, pride, and prestige or about how others saw him, or did he fret about his retirement fund and stock options?
Nope. Instead, his odd, personal question was: What is this that I hear about you?

The rich man was wounded;
the steward had wrecked their relationship by his  greed/incompetence/laziness/silence.
But there were no accusations from the rich man to his manager about the manager’s “work.”
We, the reader and hearer of this troubling tale, discover and rediscover how Jesus felt about the value and vulnerability of relationships.

I have long believed Jesus didn’t call anyone to follow him into a particular religion.
Jesus, after all, was never Christian (in any of Christianity’s thousand variations).
 And as a Jew, Jesus unsettled his fellow Jews by claiming he didn’t come to change a single “iota” of the law and yet kept exposing the flaws of the laws.
Turn the other cheek and (by the way) don’t think you only have two cheeks.
 Forgiveness trumped finances.
 Intolerance was intolerable.
The institution of any religion was and is never as precious as the individual.

Why does this parable trouble me so?

It invites me to prioritize relationship over religion and persons over property.
 It demands I trust you.

And when I do, I believe that makes me rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add