Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Feast of the Ascension, May 20, 2012

Mark 16: 15-20

Signs are all over the place.
There are so many, that it is impossible to count how many we may encounter in a given day.
And that doesn't even include all the other signs along the way-billboards, realty signs, store and business identifiers-signs with words and without, most of which I see, but which only tease at the edge of my awareness.

Paying attention to traffic signs is important.
After all, those signs could just save my life.
But so many of the other signs that I see day after day barely register in my consciousness.

We see construction on our roads as a big inconvenience.
However, I once took a different route driving up to Richmond.
Remembering all the construction on I64 around Mercury Blvd in Hampton, I took highway 10.
It was beautiful Spring day.
The ride was relaxing and I took in all kinds of new sights


The signs that at first seemed to portend a construction season of inconvenience, actually pointed me in a beneficial new direction!

In the Gospel for the Ascension, Jesus speaks of the signs that will accompany those who believe.
Like all of our journeys, there may be a thousand signs that we see each day, most of which we ignore, taking in only those most important "Stop" signs.
But those other signs along the road of life may have a meaning that we've not yet uncovered, even pointing to a new direction.
In the days from Ascension to Pentecost, it would be good for us to ask ourselves,
 "What signs of the Spirit could we be neglecting because we think the road is already mapped?"
Maybe these days up to Pentecost could be filled with fervent prayer for an awareness of the fullness of the Spirit's gifts and the signs that help us know them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add